Added by avocado brother | Fri 01 Jul 2011 @ 09:50
This is a Peruvian dish called \"Causa\". It is perfect as a starter or sharing dish.
8 medium sized potatoes (Maris Peer or Charlotte)
1 dressed crab
1 Hass avocado
1 hard boiled egg
1 beef tomato
Dash of olive oil
Dash of aji amarillio chilli paste (or liquidized mild red chilli)
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp fresh mayonnaise
1. Peel and boil the potatoes until they are tender and cooked through. Drain and set aside to cool. Once cool, mash them until smooth.
2. Stir in the oil, chilli paste, half the lime juice and salt. Line a terrine dish or deep oven dish (approx 5 x 10 inches x 4 inches deep) in cling film pressing it down to fit the dish.
3. Spread half the potatoes into the bottom of the dish (around 1 inch deep) and smooth out evenly.
4. Mix the crab with mayonnaise and the other half of the lime juice and spread this evenly over the potatoes.
5. Spread another layer of potatoes evenly over the filling. Then slice the avocados and coat with lime juice to stop browning and layer these over the potato. Spread the last later of potato to get to the top of the dish.
6. Chill for 10 minutes then take out of the fridge. Lay a serving platter upside-down over the top of the potato dish. Using both hands, flip the dish and platter over, letting the Causa fall onto the platter.
7. Remove and discard the cling film. Chop the tomato and boiled egg into cubes, season with salt and olive oil and use this to garnish the top of the Causa.
8. Cut into portions and serve