Added by Despina33 | Wed 25 Nov 2009 @ 22:14
Crunchy homemade crackers with the nutrients of sesame seeds, flax seeds and sunflower seeds
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 tablespoons non-diastatic malt powder or sugar
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milled flax or flax seed
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds, or pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup flax seeds
1) To make the dough: Mix and knead together all of the cracker ingredients (except the seeds) to a smooth, fairly stiff dough. Add 1-2 more tablespoons of water if the dough is dry.
2) Knead in the seeds.
3) Let the dough rise, covered, for 60 to 90 minutes, until it\'s expanded a bit.
4) Divide the dough in half. Working with one piece at a time, roll it into a 16\" x 11\" rectangle, about 1/8\" thick.
5) Sprinkle each half with 1/4 of the topping seeds, pressing them in with a rolling pin. Turn the dough over and repeat with the remaining topping seeds.
6) Place each piece of dough on a lightly greased baking sheet. Prick all over with a fork. Let rise for about 30 minutes; the dough will get just a bit puffy. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350įF.
7) Use a pizza wheel to cut crackers to the size you like. (Or simply break into random sizes once they\'re baked.)
8) Bake for 30 minutes, until the crackers are a medium-deep brown. Turn off the heat, and leave them in the oven for 15 to 30 minutes, until very crisp. Remove from the oven and cool.
Yield: two 16\" x 11\" sheets of crackers.