Are you sure you want to delete this recipe?
This recipe was uploaded by maserati4200
2) Preheat the oven to 400F/200C (180C if you have a fan oven). Place a rack just below the centre of the oven.
3) Make the gravy from the boiling water, bouillon, stock cubes, chilli flakes and the remaining rub. When all the ingredients have dissolved, pour into a roasting pan.
4) Place a rack on top of the pan. Place the meat on top of the rack above the gravy. Roast at about 15 minutes per pound for rare - don't let it overcook - Step 6 will finish it off if you like it medium to well done. Check the gravy every now and again and, if necessary, top up with boiling water to ensure that it does not reduce too much.
5) Remove the meat and the gravy pan. Let the meat sit for about 30 minutes for the juices to be reabsorbed into the meat fibres, and then place it in the coldest part of the refrigerator. Let it cool for a few hours, long enough for the meat to firm up. This will make slicing easier. Slice the meat against the grain as thin as humanly possible.
5) Pour the gravy into a saucepan and then deglaze the roasting pan (especially the inside edges) with boiling water. Add the deglazed juices to the saucepan containing the rest of the gravy.
6) Pour the gravy back into the pan and placed it on the stove top over a low heat, just a gentle simmer. Adjust for seasoning and spiciness, by adding more red chillies, pepper etc. Soak the slices of meat in the hot gravy for about 2 minutes at a low simmer.
7) To assemble the sandwich, cut the ciabatta/baguette lengthwise, leaving a "hinge". Spoon some gravy directly on to the cut surface of the bread. Then lay the beef on generously and spoon more gravy over the beef. Top it with giardinera (see recipe).
8) Serve with French fries.