Added by Allora Andiamo | Sun 08 Mar 2009 @ 18:38
1 med onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 large stick of celery, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 med potato, finely cubed
A couple of sprigs each of rosemary & thyme
2 bay leaves
A few tbsps of olive oil
220g of Pardina (quick cooking) lentils
1.25 litres of stock or water
1 tbsp tomato puree
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large heavy based pan. Add the onion,carrot,celery and garlic then fry gently till softened.
2. Add the tomato puree and fry for a further minute or so.
3. Add the lentils and potatoes and cook gently for a couple of minutes.
4. Pop the herbs into the pan (tied together in a bundle) then add the stock/water and season with a little salt and black pepper.
5. Simmer gently for about 25 mins or until the lentils are cooked and the soup is a little creamy.
6. Remove the herbs and check for seasoning .
7. Serve the soup drizzled with a little olive oil.
Note: The cooking time depends on the variety of lentils so check packet instructions if you\'re using a different sort. You may also need to add a little more water if the lentils you\'re using require a longer cooking time.