Italian Pistachio and Lemon Cookies
Added by Allora Andiamo | Wed 16 Dec 2009 @ 21:56
These cookies are made using a yeast dough which produces a light and airy texture. They should be placed in a tin for a day or two to allow flavours to develop.
300g plain flour
180g caster sugar
approx• 220g pistachios (weight with shell)
1 large egg
approx 120ml ml warm milk
1 small packet of dried yeast
100g butter, room temperature
Finely grated zest from 2 large,thick skinned lemons (organic)
1/2 tsp of lemon essence
To finish: 1 beaten egg + icing sugar for sprinkling
1. Sieve the flour into a large bowl, then add the egg and butter. Mix together the yeast and warmed milk then pour into the flour mixture.
2. Begin mixing in the flour then once the mixture has pulled together remove from the bowl and knead the dough till soft and silky. Cover the dough with a tea towel and leave it to rise for approx 30 - 40 mins.
3. Whilst the dough is resting prepare the sugar mixture. Add the lemon zest and lemon essence to the caster sugar, mixing well. Set aside for now.
4. Remove the shells from the pistachios then lay the nuts on a tea towel. Cover with the towel and rub vigourously to remove the dry skins, then chop very finely.
5. Once the dough is ready, roll out into a large square (approx 3mm thick). Sprinkle evenly with the sugar mixture and chopped pistachios.
6. Starting at the top end, roll the dough towards you, pressing the roll down gently as you go. Cover with the tea towel and allow to rest for a few minutes before cutting the roll into small slices (approx 1cm).
7. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment then place the cookies, side by side, on the tray. Cover with the tea towel and allow to prove for approx 20mins.
8. Whilst your waiting for them to prove , preheat the oven to 180°C.
9. Brush the tops with a little beaten egg then bake for approx. 20 -25 mins.
10. Allow to cool then sprinkle liberally with icing sugar.
11. Place in a tin for a day or two to allow the flavours to develop (the biscuits will dry out slightly during this time which is what you want).