Kale and Kassler Soup
Added by Allora Andiamo | Fri 13 Nov 2009 @ 08:59
A simple and yummy winter soup, full of healthy greens. Vegatarians can leave out the meat and just replace it with some veggie wiener style smoked sausages.
1.5 litres of chicken or vegetable stock
250g piece of kassler (or any kind of smoked pork, bacon,smoked sausage etc)
approx.300g kale, sliced into small strips or squares
1 large carrot, cut into small cubes
1 medium leek, sliced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/8 slice of celeriac (or use 1 large celery stick instead)
2 medium floury potatoes, peeled and cubed
A dash of olive oil
A little salt if necessary and black pepper
1. In a large saucepan/casserole, heat a dash of olive oil gently till just hot.
2. Add the carrot, leek,onion and celeriac and fry gently till soft.
3. Add the potato and kassler to the pan then top up with the stock. Cover and cook gently for about 40 minutes.
4. Remove the piece of kassler, cut into small cubes then set aside for now.
5. Add the sliced kale to the pan and continue cooking till kale is tender. I like my greens with a bit of crunch so i only cook them for a few minutes but you can cook them longer if you prefer.
6. Once the kale is cooked, remove half of the soup and process in a blender or food processor till creamy.
7. Return the soup to the pan along with the cubes of kassler. Reheat if necessary then serve.