Added by javane | Sat 17 Apr 2010 @ 11:29
Everyone loves this dish. Itís something youíll enjoy eating for lunch, dinner or any time in fact! Very like Khoresht e bademjan except in this recipe you use lamb rather than chicken. This is one of those recipes you can make in stages which was perfect for me yesterday as I had my 2 yrs old grand-daughter visiting for the day. Having tucked away a good helping of Lubia polou for lunch her nose was twitching at the smells coming from the kitchen! I had already cooked the meat earlier and only needed to add the split yellow peas and budemjan which was useful as 2 yr olds havenít got much patience! She then proceeded to tuck into 2 good helpings of Khoresht e Gheimeh Budemjan and I think if her mother hadnít arrived, she would have demolished the lot!
* 400 grís of lamb cut in small cubes
* 1 large onion
* 1-2 cloves of garlic
* 2 medium-sized budemjan or aubergine ( eggplant)
* 1 cup of split yellow peas
* 1 teaspoon of turmeric
* 1 teaspoon of advieh
* 1/2 teaspoon of ground saffron to make 1 small cup of liquid saffron.
* dried limes ( limu amani)
* 1 cup of tomato paste
* A little oil
* salt and pepper to taste
* Pierce the limu amani with the tip of a knife before you add to them to the khoresht as it helps the the flavor of the limu to infuse into the khoresht
* Wash, peel, quarter and then slice the bademjan ( aubergine). Spread onto a large flat plate and sprinkle with salt. Turn and sprinkle with salt again. Leave for 30 mins and then rinse. Pat them dry before frying. This helps to remove the bitter taste.
1. Chop the onion and gently fry in a little oil until it begins to turn golden
2. Add the meat, garlic, salt and pepper and the turmeric, stir well and continue to cook until the meat is brown
3. Cover with water, add the lime juice, tomato paste, saffron and advieh and simmer gently over a low heat for about an hour and a half or until the meat is tender. You may need to add a little more water.
4. Meanwhile boil a pan of water, add the split yellow peas and cook for 20 mins. Add the split yellow peas and stir in.
5. Take a fry ing pan, heat some oil and when hot place the sliced aubergines in the oil and cook until golden. Dont forget to turn them.
6. About 15 mins before you are ready to serve add the aubergine but avoid stirring incase you break up them up. just allow them to sit on the surface of the khoresht and absorb the flavours.
* This dish is always better served the next day!