Lemon souffle pancakes
Added by jutta73 | Mon 17 Aug 2009 @ 15:38
Serves approx 4 people.
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
2 tbsp lemon juice
3 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
25g unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for cooking
90g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp caster sugar
pinch of salt
- Add buttermilk, egg yolks, lemon juice, zest, and vanilla extract in a bowl and stir until combined, then add the melted butter and mix well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt into a medium to large bowl. Gradually stir in the buttermilk mixture until dry ingredients are just moistened. Do not overmix.
- Beat the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg white mixture into the batter using a large metal spoon.
- Melt a small amount of butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Drop two tablespoons of batter per pancake into the pan.
- Cook until golden brown on the underside, and then turn and cook the other side.
- Keep warm on a plate in the oven, while you cook the remaining batter.