Lighter Beef Stroganoff
Added by DeborahB | Sun 21 Nov 2010 @ 22:03
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
650g rump steak, trimmed and cut into thin slivers
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 shallots, peeled and cut into wedges
300g chestnut mushrooms, finely sliced
1 tsp of hot paprika
3 tbsp brandy (optional)
50ml good quality beef or chicken stock
150ml double cream
A good dash of Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp of parsley leaves, finely chopped
3tbsp thick Greek yoghurt
Juice and zest of Ĺ Lemon
1. Heat a heavy based frying pan over a high heat. Add 1tbsp of oil and when it is hot, add half of the meat, season well and stir fry until lightly browned and still very pink remove from the pan and set aside. Then add the remaining oil, season and stir fry the rest of the meat. Again, remove the cooked meat and meat juices and set aside.
2. Turn down the heat and add the butter to the frying pan, then add the shallots and gently fry until soft and lightly browned.
3. Add the mushrooms to the pan and fry until tender. Then add the meat, meat juices, paprika and the brandy (if using), set alight and keep shaking the pan until the alcohol has burnt off.
4. Then stir in the stock and cook for a further minute.
5. Stir in the cream, Worcestershire sauce and parsley. As soon as it is hot again, remove from the heat and stir in the yoghurt, lemon zest and juice and adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve immediately with rice, baked potato, pasta or creamy mashed potatoes!
If the shallots are small add more. The shallots add sweetness to the dish, to compensate for the tartness of the lemon. The brandy is optional.