Are you sure you want to delete this recipe?
This recipe was uploaded by emms
1. Bring ale to the boil in a saucepan. Remove from the heat and stir in the cocoa. Leave to cool until it reaches room temperature
2. Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda and set aside
3. Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixture until very light and fluffy (about 5 mins)
4. Add the egg and beat until just incorporated
5. Beat in the cooled ale/cocoa mixture
6. Add the sifted dry mixture in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk in two parts - beginning and ending with the dry and beating after each addition
7. Spoon the batter into a baking tray lined with cupcake cases (2/3 of the way full)
8. Bake in preheated oven for 15 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean
9. Cool briefly in the pans and then transfer to a wire rack until cooled completely.
1. Boil ale in a saucepan, remove from the heat and stir in the cocoa. Allow to cool completely - transfer to a bowl and place in the fridge if necessary
2. Beat the butter until smooth
3. Add the vanilla, ale/cocoa mixture and half the icing sugar and continue to beat. Gradually add all of the sugar - beating continuously until you reach a consistency you like
4. Spread onto cooled cupcakes and top with shavings of Fairtrade
chocolate and Brazil nuts.