Added by Allora Andiamo | Wed 25 Feb 2009 @ 14:24
This is a potent chilli and garlic sauce which can be used as a dip for tiny boiled potatoes or as a sauce for grilled meat.
10 small red dried chillies
6- 8 cloves of garlic
1 tsp cummin
1/2 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp sea salt
about 40ml of white wine vinegar
100ml olive oil
1. Soak the chillies in warm water to soften (about 10mins)
2. Peel the garlic and chop finely .
3. Using a pestle and mortar, grind the spices finely (adding the salt).
4. Drain the chillies then add, with the garlic, to the spices. Grind together till you have a rough paste.
5. Bit by bit, add the oil and vinegar and continue grinding till you have a smoothish paste.
6. Pop it in the fridge for an hour or so to allow flavours to develop.