Mushroom Slice (Vegetarian)
Added by Allora Andiamo | Fri 06 Feb 2009 @ 19:10
350g puff pastry
1 egg, beaten (for glaze)
1/2 cup of fresh breadcrumbs
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
about 1/2 cup of cooked rice
1/2 cup of garlic and herb soft cheese
1/2 -3/4 cup grated Gouda (mature) or Cheddar
3tbsp chopped parsley
2-3 tsps lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon rind
2 tbsp butter
Salt and pepper
1. Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the chopped onion and garlic and fry gently for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms to the pan and fry until the mushrooms are tender and any water in the pan has evaporated. You should have a nice dry mixture.
3. Remove from the heat and add the rice, both cheeses, parsley, breadcrumbs,lemon juice and rind. Season with salt and pepper then pop it in the fridge to cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C. Roll out the pastry into a 30x40cm rectangle.
5. Spoon the mushroom filling along the middle of the pastry rectangle forming a sausage shape.
6. Wrap the filling in the pastry, overlapping slightly. Dampen the edges with a little egg to help seal the pastry.
7. Seal the short edges of the roll using a little egg.
8. Brush the roll with beaten egg then bake at 200C for 30-40mins, till nicely browned.
Delicious served with cranberry sauce.