Added by Allora Andiamo | Wed 28 Jan 2009 @ 12:03
1 kg cleaned mussels
4 plum tomatoes,chopped (i used tinned)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large clove of garlic, sliced
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 glass of dry white wine
Salt to taste
1. Using a large pan, heat the oil and gently fry garlic and shallot till opaque (should take a few minutes).
2. Add the chopped tomatoes and the wine and simmer for about 10mins.Season with just a little salt ( i sometimes like to add a few chilli flakes too)
3. Add the mussels to the pan, pop a lid on, and let them steam in the sauce for a few minutes, giving the pan a shake every now and again.
4. Once all the mussels have opened, remove from the heat.
5. Serve in deep dishes, adding some of the the lovely juices to the plate.
Delicious served with baguette or crusty italian bread, dipped into the juices.