Are you sure you want to delete this recipe?
This recipe was uploaded by Julian
1) Put the flour and salt in a large bowl and add the cubes of butter.
2) Use your fingertips/Wooden spoon to rub the butter into the flour until you have a mixture that resembles coarse breadcrumbs with no large lumps of butter remaining. Try to work quickly so that it does not become greasy.
3) Using a knife, stir in just enough of the cold water to bind the dough together. The best rule of the thumb is not to make to wet.
4) Wrap the dough in Clingfilm and chill for 10-15 minutes before using.
5) Alternatively using a food processor, put the flour, butter and salt in the food processor and pulse until the fat is rubbed into the flour.
6) With the motor running, gradually add the water through the funnel until the dough comes together. Only add enough water to bind it and then stop.
7) Wrap the dough in Clingfilm as before and chill for 30 minutes before using.
To make the filling.
1 tablespoon of plain flour ( Just to thicken sauce)
1) Heat a small amount of oil in a large frying pan,add the mince beef and cook until beef turns brown for about 2/3 minutes.
2) Sweat the onion and celery and pepper for about 10 minutes (do this by placing the lid on the pan and occasionally stirring), until the onion and celery become soft and cooked.
3) Add the cherry tomatoes and reduce to simmer.
4) If there is a lot of excess fat then drain the meat in a sieve and return to the pan. Stir in 1 tablespoon of Worchester sauce and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of plain four over the meat and mix in well, cook for a further minute.
5) Gradually add 250ml of beef stock and season with salt and pepper bring to the boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer and place the lid on the pan and cook for 20 minutes, giving the mixture a stir quite often so that it doesn't stick.
6)Once the gravy has reduced by half and has thickened, remove from the heat and allow to cool down.
7) Once your mixture has cooled take out your pastry from the fridge and lightly grease a pie dish, approx 9".
8) take ¾ of your pastry and roll out so that it is larger than your dish. Roll the pastry around your rolling pin and place in the dish and tuck in, being careful not to stretch the pastry.
9) Fill your pie with your filling and then roll out the remaining pastry and place on top of the pie. Cut off any excess pastry and seal the edges with either a fork or my pressing with your fingers and thumb.
10) make a hole in the centre of the pie and glaze with egg wash (egg and water) using a little of the egg reserved from making the pastry.
11) Cook in pre heated oven gas mark 5/170 degrees for 35-45 minutes until golden brown.
12) This can be made in advance and frozen and also cooked from frozen. Just add 20 more minutes to your cooking time.