Added by kye in france | Wed 28 Jan 2009 @ 12:03
175G (6OZ) short pastry
900g (2lb) cooking apples
150g (5oz) sugar.
2x15ml spoons (2 tbsp) cold water
1x15ml (1 tbsp) brandy (optional)
2 dessert apples.
1x15ml (1 tbsp) apricot jam, sieved
(1) Peel, core and slice apples and place in a saucepan with the sugar and the water. Cook over a gentle heat until the apples are thoroughly softened. Beat to a purée with a wooden spoon then turn into a sieve and drain and cool.
(2) Heat oven to 200C, 400F, gas mark 6. Line a 23cm (9inch) flan tin with the pastry.
(3) If using the brandy, place apple purée in a bowl and stir in the brandy. Otherwise, spread purée over the base of the pastry.
(4) My apples are also somtimes peeled and sliced by an automatic peeler, this way i can keep the slices whole. Otherwise have ready a basin of cold water mixed with lemon juice. Peel and quarter the dessert apples into the water. Then thinly slice and arrange in circles on the top of the apple puree.
(5) Bake for about thirty (30) minutes until the pastry is cooked and the apples slices are tender.
(6) Gently heat the jam and brush over the apples to glaze. Otherwise just add butter and sugar over the flan.