Added by MaisonCupcake | Thu 22 Apr 2010 @ 16:03
Very lazy cookies, you can keep some of the dough in the freezer and they are wonderful for baking a few fresh biscuits when your mates come round.
250g butter, softened
200g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
300g plain flour
75g rice flour
1 tbsp finely grated orange zest
100g coarsely chopped dried cranberries
2 tbsp milk (you may need slightly more)
A little extra sugar for sprinkling (optional)
1. Using the food processor, mix the butter, icing sugar, orange zest and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Tip into a large bowl and add the sifted flours, cranberries and rub mixture as if making shortcrust pastry until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
2. Spoon over the milk and bring the breadcrumb mixture together into a ball.
3. Divide into 2-3 balls to make the mixture easier to manage. Knead the balls of dough on a floured surface until smooth then roll into logs around 6-7cm in diameter. Wrap each log with parchment paper and place in a freezer bag in the fridge for about 1 hour until firm or freeze until needed (up to 1 month).
4. Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 160c and line a couple of baking trays with parchment paper.
5. When the logs have firmed up, unwrap them and using a sharp knife cut into slices 1cm thick. Place about 3cm apart on the baking trays and bake for around 18-20 minutes until just golden. Cool on wire racks.
More step by step photos at my blog. Just google Maison Cupcake.