Padwal (Snake Gourd) Curry
Added by praveennair | Tue 08 Sep 2009 @ 12:59
A south-indian delicacy
Medium sized Snake Gourd (Padwal) 250gm
Small Onion (South Indian) 6 Nos.
Red Chili Powder 2 tbsp
Turmeric Powder 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds 5gm
Grated Coconut Ό Cup
Pigeon Pea (Arhar Dal) Ό cup
Salt To taste
Refined Oil 3 tbsp
Water 1 ½ cup
Curry Leaves 5gm (for garnishing)
1. Cook the Arhar dal with 2 cups of water and Ό tsp of turmeric powder in a pressure cooker for 15 minutes. Keep aside.
2. Cut the padwal into small pieces and keep aside. Blend grated coconut, turmeric powder, chili powder, cumin seeds, salt and small onions, into a thick paste.
3. Pre-heat the pan or kadhai and pour oil. Add the masala prepared earlier and stir well for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the cooked arhar dal and padwal to the mixture. Stir well for 3 mins.
5. Add water and stir well. Cook for 20 mins. Add salt according to taste.
Garnish your dish with curry leaves. Serve hot with rice, roti etc.