Pancakes In an Iceberg Scene
Added by fabbaker | Tue 14 Feb 2012 @ 21:09
Ice cream maker
Baking trays x 2
Lyleís Golden syrup
American pancake (see
1. Heat milk and split vanilla pod to a simmer in a pan over medium heat. Once simmering take off heat and set aside.
2. Beat the Lyleís Golden Syrup and egg yolk together in a bowl until light and thick.
3. Re-heat milk to a simmer, remove vanilla pod. Slowly pour the milk into the egg mixture while beating constantly.
4. Place bowl over pan of simmering water and whisk while heating until the mixture reaches 85 degrees. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Once cool pour into ice cream maker and leave to churn.
5. Put gelatin sheets in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes to soften. Meanwhile heat a small amount of blueberry juice in a pan.
6. Once softened, squeeze excess water from the gelatin and add to pan. Stir until melted through. Add the Lyleís Golden Syrup and stir through until melted.
7. Remove pan from heat and pour in remaining blueberry juice, stir to incorporate. Set aside to cool.
8. Once cooled, pour a thin layer into a cling film lined baking tray and put into the fridge to set.
9. Place egg whites in a bowl and beat until they form stiff peaks. Add icing sugar 1 tsp at a time while continuing to beat.
10. Use a flat knife to spread a thin layer of meringue over a parchment lined baking tray. Put into a pre-heated oven at 70 degrees for an hour and a half or until cooked through and brittle.
11. Make up American pancake mix as per directions. Pour into boat mould and microwave for 30 seconds. Set aside to cool before unmoulding.
12. Remove set jelly from fridge. Use a flat knife to cut slices, which can be arranged on the plate to resemble a stormy sea
13. Remove ice cream from freezer and place a single scoop on the plate. Break off meringue pieces to decorate the scoop as an iceberg. Dot around blueberries and finish the scene with the pancake boat.