Are you sure you want to delete this recipe?
This recipe was uploaded by Allora Andiamo
1. Using your hands,mix everything together then wet your hands again and form the mixture into small meatballs.
2. Fry them a little olive oil till browned then set aside.
Note: i usually zap the chopped onions in the microwave for a couple of minutes to soften them. Just a personal preference.
Step 2 - Tomato Sauce
1. In a large saucepan, heat a good lug of olive oil till just hot. Add the onion and garlic and fry gently for a few minutes, till soft.
2. Pour in the passata , stir well then throw in the fried meatballs and season with some salt and pepper. Let it cook for about 30 mins then add the basil and continue cooking for just a couple of minutes.
Note: You can make the meatball sauce the day before if you like.
1. Once you've cooked your meatballs/sauce , cook your pasta. It should be a little UNDER al dente.
2. Add the sauce to the drained pasta and mix well, drizzling with just a dash of olive oil.
3. Place about 1/4 of the pasta mix into the baking dish. Sprinkle with about 1/4 of the ham and cheeses. Repeat the layers finishing off with the cheeses.
4. Drizzle with a bit of extra virgin olive oil, then cover with a large sheet of aluminium foil (make a kind of dome so the foil doesn't actually sit on the pasta).
5. Bake in a preheated oven (190C fan oven) for about 40 mins ( remove foil for the last 10 mins). It should be nice and hot in the middle.
6. Let it rest for a few minutes before slicing.