Pasta alla Anne!
Added by annetps | Wed 28 Jan 2009 @ 12:03
1) Bacon - a few slices (make them chunky pieces, about 1-1.5″ in length)
2) Peppers / capsicum - red/green/yellow (any 2 colours are fine, or all 3 if you like, diced)
3) 1 whole onion
4) 1 carrot - chunky dices
5) canned button mushrooms - slice ‚Äėem up
6) 2 fresh tomatos - diced
7) your bottle of tomato puree/ready made sauce
9) thai sweet chilli sauce (mainly sweet chilli sauce is fine)
10) Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) or Sesame Oil
11) dried oregano, salt and pepper to taste
I like to call this: Pasta alla Anne
Because yours truly made it. lol.
I use vermicelli (or at least thatís what I think iím using), kind of thin spaghetti. Itís not Ďangelís hairí type, just the one in-between the regular thick ones and angelís hairÖ
First, bring your pot of water to boil and make sure to throw in a teaspoon of salt (i donít really know why we do that, but I do that all the time, mom makes me throw in the salt) into the boiling water. We like to put in a dash of sesame oil (olive oil is alright too) sometimes, so that we donít really have to oil the spaghetti later on (itís a really lazy move and it doesnít really work. it just gives the spaghetti a taste of sesame oil).
Let the spaghetti cook as instructed on the packaging (or until al dente) and seive it out. Let it sit in the draining container until not so hot (say about 5-10 minutes) and then toss it lightly with your hands (or to be safer, a pair of tongs or chopsticks) with olive oil to ensure that the spaghetti donít stick together when you serve later on. By tossing the spaghetti, you actually kinda let it retain a bit of a firm factor, so itís not so soggy, if you get what i mean. Similarly if youíre not too keen on your hands getting oily, you can bring out your wok or pan and heat it up in olive oil, put in some onions for flavour and smell and chuck in the spaghetti and you can do some happy tossing there. :lol: You might be interested to add in some oregano, just a tad bit.
The sauce is usually the hard part, isnít it? ;)
Right, I forgot how to make the concasa (trust me, I do a mean tomato concasa, but I kinda forgot. Gotta ask mom again) but I can teach you how to spruce up a ready-made bottle of tomato sauce for pasta and spaghetti.
1) Weíll start with the bacon. You can either bake it in the oven (on a piece of aluminium foil large enough for all your bacon pieces not to dribble off the tray) or fry it after the onions until crisp.
2) Heat up your pan with some oil, and once you feel that itís up to medium heat, put in the bacon pieces and let it simmer in the heat and oil until the nice smell of cooked onions comes out. Take them out when youíre done and put them on a small plate - for use later.
3) Throw in the bacon for frying in the left over onion oil, make sure to kind of spread out the bacon pieces so that it gets all evenly fried. Oh yes, fry till golden brown or your level of crispy. Drain off the oil before placing the fried bacon on a plate with some kitchen towels to absorb the excess oil.
4) with your leftover bacon + onion oil, you can now fry your diced (if you like your peppers chunky, thatís fine too! in slices or strips is fine too, so long as you like it, you can just do it that way, just have them fried, not grilled, or boiled or steamed.) capsicum, and carrots until they change colours slightly.
5) Add in the sliced button mushrooms and onions now.
6) You can now add in about 3-4 tablespoons of your tomato-pasta sauce.. Mix it all around, bring down the fire to the lowest possible, and add in a tablespoon of ketchup (to have that really oomph-y tomato-y taste) and 1.5 tablespoons of the sweet chilli sauce. After youíve mixed in all the sauces, if you prefer a slightly wetter sauce, you may dilute it with about 1/4 cup of water.
Once that is all mixed in, you can now serve it up with your spaghetti! :)
If you want to have it a little more gormet-y like, you can serve the sauce and chunky bits of vegetables on top of your oregano-ed-olive-oiled spaghetti.
Garnish with a bit of corriander. Youíre set to start eating. :D:D:D