Added by Allora Andiamo | Thu 24 Mar 2011 @ 11:46
Sweet peppers, braised with onion, tomato and extra virgin olive oil and a touch of garlic and basil.
I usually serve this as a side dish or on crostini but it also makes a good main meal, topped with a fried egg.
Makes approx• 4 portions
2-3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1 med• onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, sliced in half
4 med• tomatoes, skinned, de-seeded & chopped (keep the juice !)
1 large red, yellow AND green pepper (or use just red & yellow), cut into strips
about 8 basil leaves, finely shredded (optional)
Salt and black pepper to season
1. In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil gently then add the chopped onion to the pan.
2. Fry gently for approx. 10 mins till onions are soft but not browned. Add the garlic to the pan and continuing frying for another 3 mins or so. Remove the garlic from the pan and discard.
3. Add the sliced peppers to the pan and cook over a gentle heat for approx.10mins, stirring it regularly.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes ( with juice) to the pan along with some salt and pepper. Cover and simmer gently till peppers are very soft. Check them every now and then to make sure they\'re not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
5. Once they\'re almost done, add the chopped basil to the pan and adjust seasoning if necessary.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature.