Added by Allora Andiamo | Sun 24 May 2009 @ 16:29
500g plain flour
approx 6 tbsp olive oil (traditional recipe uses lard)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
approx 300ml lukewarm water (you might not need all of it)
1. Place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. Drizzle over the olive oil and begin to mix the dough.
3. Start adding the water bit by bit, kneading the dough as you go.
4. Add just enough water to make a smooth but firm dough.
5. Knead for approx 15mins then allow to rest for another 15 mins.
6. Divide the dough into six equal pieces, then roll out thinly into circles (about 8 inches).
7. Heat a cast iron griddle or frying pan till nice and hot. Place a piadina on the griddle/pan and cook till brown spots begin to appear on the dough.
8. Turn over and cook the other side. If you want to keep them warm, cover with foil and place in a very low oven.
You can either serve the piadine as they are, stuffed with cold ham, cheese, salad, tomatoes etc OR you can stuff them then return them to the griddle to warm through the filling. The ones in the picture were stuffed with prosciutto crudo, fontina cheese and basil.