Added by eclaire_86 | Tue 22 Nov 2011 @ 21:29
Easy to do, throw it all in the same pot, full of flavour. Nice Autumn/Winter dish great with mash!
8 good quality beef sausages
1 large red onion
2 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
Squirt of tomato puree
Splash of balsamic vinegar
Glug of wine (whatever is in the fridge but not sparkling!)
Stock of your choice (just enough to cover the sausages)
Chestnut Mushrooms (about 10)
1. Dice onion and fry in a large pan on a high heat with olive oil for a couple of minutes until softening.
2. Finely chop or crush garlic and add to the onions. Fry for a further minute or so being careful not to burn the garlic.
3. Add sausages to the pan and fry until skin takes on some colour.
4. Then add the bay leaves, puree, vinegar, wine and stock. Bring to a simmer.
5. Turn down the heat and continue to gently cook for around 30 minutes. Or transfer all ingredients to a casserole dish and cook in a pre-heated oven 180 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
6. Add mushrooms 10 minutes before the end of cooking.
TIP - If casserole begins to reduce too quickly add a little hot water/stock when needed.