Putanesca Sauce - My version
Added by dbutts29 | Tue 14 Jul 2009 @ 14:05
After having this sauce for the first time i wanted to create something similar that i could do at home. Not to everyones liking and i am in no way claimng this as authentic.
1 Large onion finely chopped
3 garlic cloves finely sliced
3 small cooking chorizo (HOT)
6 anchovies (i use the ones in oil)
tsp dried crushed chilli (optional)
400g tin tomatoes
2 tbsp sherry vinegar
1. In a large pan heat some oil and slowly sweat off the onion until transluscent
2. While the onion is sweating off take the skins off the chorizo then break up into small pieces and put to one side.
3. Once the onion is cooked add the following a few minutes after each other chorizo, anchovies, garlic. I do it in this order to allow the chorizo the most time to gain colour an leach the extra fat into the pan then adding the anchovies it gives them time to break down before adding the garlic.
4. At this point i would add the paprika and the optional chilli and cook out for a minute or two.
5. You may now have some bits that are starting to stick to the pan so i would now add the vinegar, i am not sure why this works but it seems to go down well when i serve it you can leave this out if you dont want it.
6. Cook out the vinegar for a minute it should reduce down to almost a syrup.
7. Add the tomatoes and stir, then put water into the empty tomato tin and add that too.
8. With the lid off bring it up to a simmer and cook for about 40 minutes to an hour you are looking for a thickened well reduced tomato sauce.
I am somtimes not always ready or other things have delayed so if it is getting too dry add a splash more water a little at a time to keep it ticking over or take it off the heat and keep warm elsewhere.
Serve with whatever pasta you happen to have in the cupboard. If more heat is required add more chilli at the table.
I havent put any salt or pepper in this recipe as its entirely up to you sometimes the sausage and anchovies have enough sometimes they dont so personal choice season as necessary.