Quick Potato Dauphinoise
Added by JamJarTrifle | Sun 30 Oct 2011 @ 16:10
I love this. There\'s usually a lot of cream left at the bottom of the dishes but thats OK. It is really filling, and if you include the anchovies they add a bit more flavour to the dish.
Leaving the potatoes skins on isn\'t traditional, but they give the dish a bit of texture, and makes it seem a bit more Rustic.
If you wanted, you could add a layer of cheddar cheese on top of the potatoes dauphinoise, to give it a nice crust. The Hairy Bikers once described this combination as \'posh cheesy chips\'!
- 4 potatoes, sliced (slice the potatoes thinly, but not so thinly that the fall apart when you boil them)
-3 anchovy fillets in oil, drained and roughly chopped (optional)
-1 small tub of single cream
-salt and pepper
-1 nutmeg, or ground nutmeg
1) First, preheat the oven to 220 degrees celsius. Then, boil a pan of water. Add your potatoes, and cook for 5 mins.
2) Then layer the boiled potatoes in 2 small earthenware dishes, or foil trays. First do a layer of potatoes, then add salt and pepper, some grated nutmeg, or a sprinkling of the ground variety, and a grating of parmesan cheese. Then add a couple of pieces of anchovy, if using, and keep layering the potatoes like that.
3) Then roast the potatoes in the oven, for 15 mins.
4) Serve as individual portions, or half portions (serves 4 people at the most).