Rack of Lamb with Savoy Cabbage and Red Wine Sauce
Added by hoppershaun | Wed 28 Jan 2009 @ 12:03
1 rack of lamb (french trimmed)
salt and black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
50g butter, chilled and cubed
half a savoy cabbage, cored and shredded
100ml red wine
100ml beef stock
1 tsp rosemary
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Score the fat of the lamb in a criss-cross pattern. Season the rack of lamb with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and when hot, add the lamb and sear on all sides until browned. Transfer the lamb to a roasting tin and roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
3. Remove from oven and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, make the red wine sauce and cook the cabbage. For the sauce, pour off any excess fat from the frying pan that the lamb was seared in, Pour in the red wine and balsamic vinegar and cooked until reduced by half. Add the rosenary and beef stock, and reduce again by half. Whisk in 20g of the cubed butter. Keep warm.
5. For the cabbage, melt the remaining butter in a pan and add the cabbage. Cover the pan and slowly cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Place the cabbage in the centre of two warm plates, Cut the lamb into cutlets and place these around the cabbage. Pour around the red wine sauce and serve.