Ragu with Shin of Beef
Added by Allora Andiamo | Wed 11 Nov 2009 @ 21:37
A delicious & rich ragu, made with a relatively cheap cut of meat.... lovely served with pasta or on a bed of steaming polenta.
Makes approx 8-9 servings of pasta sauce
2 thick slices of shin of beef (approx 900g)
3 tins of San Marzano tomatoes, pureed in a blender
1 cup of red wine
2 small carrots, finely chopped
1 small leek, finely chopped
1 large chunk of celeriac, peeled and finely chopped
1 small bunch of parsley, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to season
Herb bundle:a few large sprigs each of rosemary and thyme (bash them gently before adding to the pan)
1. In a large frying pan, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil till hot. Add the beef slices to the pan and fry on both sides till browned. .
2. Add the chopped leek,carrot,garlic and celeriac to the pan and fry over a low heat till soft but not browned.
3. Remove the beef slices and place in a deep, heavy based pan along with the herb bundle.
4. Pour the wine over the vegetables and cook over a high heat for about 1 minute before adding the pureed tomatoes.
5. Season well with salt and pepper. Bring the sauce to the boil then pour over the beef slices.
6. Cover tightly then cook over a very low heat for approx. 2.5 - 3 hours. Check and stir regularly to make sure it\'s not sticking. Once the sauce has thickened and you can pull the meat apart easily with a fork, it\'s ready.
7. Remove meat from the pan and cut into small cubes, removing fat and bones. Return the meat to the pan and reheat before serving.