Red Lentil and Spinach Dhal
Added by Allora Andiamo | Sat 31 Oct 2009 @ 17:30
Makes approx• 4 portions
1 cup (approx 250g) red lentils
approx• 800ml water
1 cupful of frozen spinach (defrosted) or use fresh
1 med red onion, finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 inch piece of ginger,grated
1 small bunch of coriander, chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsps ghee (clarified butter)
1 heaped tbsp raw creamed coconut (optional)
1. Rinse lentils under cold running water and allow to drain.
2. In a large saucepan, melt the ghee and gently fry onions, garlic and chilli till soft.
3. Add the mustard seeds and fry till they pop. Next add the ginger, turmeric and garam masala. Fry for a couple minutes before adding the lentils to the pan.
4. Pour in the water (season with salt and pepper), cover and cook gently for approx 15mins, stirring occassionally.
5. Add the spinach,coriander and the creamed coconut and continue cooking for a further 3-4 minutes.
I serve mine as a main course with basmati rice and Indian breads but you could serve it as a side dish if you prefer.