Risotto alla Milanese
Added by Allora Andiamo | Wed 28 Jan 2009 @ 12:03
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion,finely chopped
about 1 teaspoon saffron threads (soaked in a bit of stock)
2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
6-7 cups hot chicken broth (you may not need all of it).
about 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
[b]You would usually serve this with Osso Buco(braised veal shanks) but we fancied a meat free meal today, so just served it as it was, pure and simple.[/b]
1) Using a large pot, heat the olive oil then add 2 tbsp of the butter.
2) Once melted, add the onion and cook gently till they're soft ,but not browned.
3) Add the rice and stir gently for about 3 minutes (a wooden spoon is best) making sure the rice is well coated with the butter/oil mix.
4) Now add the wine. Once its absorbed, add your first ladel of hot broth (including the saffron), stirring all the time.
5) Once the liquid has been absorbed you can add the next ladel of hot stock.
6) Continue adding hot stock(and stirring), waiting till the stock is completely absorbed before adding more.
7) After about 15mins, you can start to check the rice, to see how its doing, adding a little more stock if necessary.When its ready, it should be tender and creamy, but still a little firm to the bite.
8) Remove the pan from the heat, then beat in the rest of the butter and the parmesan cheese, till creamy and shiny. Pop a lid on it and let it rest for a minute or two before serving.