Added by Allora Andiamo | Tue 03 Nov 2009 @ 08:43
A simple and tasty sausage stew..lovely served with some plain, steamed veggies and chunks of crusty bread :-)
4 large meaty sausages
1 tin of cannelini beans (400g)
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
about 2 handfuls of whole baby mushrooms
1 large onion, finely sliced
1-2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
approx• 130g slice of smoked bacon (remove fat/rind)
1 large glass of red wine
1 large glass of chicken stock
Small bundle of rosemary,thyme and bay leaves (tie together)
A dash of olive oil for frying
Salt and pepper to season
Pre-heat oven to 180C.
1. Slice the bacon into small cubes. In a large, heavy based casserole, fry the bacon in a little dash of olive oil, till lightly browned.
2. Add the sliced onions and garlic to the pan and fry gently till the onions begin to soften.
3. Turn the heat up a little, then add the sausages to the pan and cook for a minute or two before adding the baby mushrooms and herbs.
4. Pour in the red wine and cook over a high heat for approx 1 minute. Next, add the beans, tomatoes and stock. Season with pepper and a little salt (if necessary).
5. Bring to the boil, cover, then place in a pre-heated oven (180C) for approx 1 1/4 hours. Remove herb bundle before serving.