Added by GrowinKitchen | Thu 17 Mar 2011 @ 02:07
Semur betawi is a Batavian beef stew dish that can be found is several street food vendor around Jakarta, the capital city of Indonesian Republic. This beef dish is salty sweet from the use of sweet soy sauce. Happy St. Patrick\'s Day!
5 large shallots
3 large cloves garlic
Ĺ tablespoon of finely chopped ginger
3 candlenuts (fried)
Ĺ teaspoon shrimp paste
a pinch of salt
3 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
5 tablespoons palm oil
2 cm galangal (bruised)
2 salam leaves
2 stalks lemon-grass (bruised)
100 g beef (preferably filet mignon or tenderloin)
1 large potato (peeled and cut to your taste)
oil for frying
5 green beans (chopped)
1 small carrot (chopped)
Ĺ teaspoon finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon oil
250 ml water
1 teaspoon white peppercorn (toasted)
1 teaspoon cumin (toasted)
Fried shallot and garlic for serving
1. Refine shallot, garlic, ginger, candlenut, shrimp paste and salt using mortar and pestle.
2. Mix the refined spices with soy sauce, oil, galangal, salam leaf and lime-grass.
3. Marinate the beef and store it for 1 hours.
4. Meanwhile, fry the potato until golden brown.
5. Boil green bean and carrot briefly, stain from water. Saute onion with oil, then add green beans and carrot.
6. In a pan, stir in beef sauce until aromatic, add the beef and water. Cook until half liquid evaporate.
7. Ground white peppercorn and cumin.
8. In a plate, arrange beef and fried potato. Pour in the sauce, sprinkle with white pepper and cumin. Serve with green beans and carrot.