Added by Allora Andiamo | Tue 24 Mar 2009 @ 13:11
approx 400g fresh italian fennel sausage (or use any good quality,meaty sausages)
4 large waxy potatoes, cut into into large chunks
1.5 cupsful of frozen peas
1 med onion, finely sliced
2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
1 small red chill, sliced
4 tbsp sun dried tomato puree
1 tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
1 sprig of rosemary, finely chopped
about 15 basil leaves, finely chopped
approx 250ml dry white wine
1 litre of beef or chicken stock
A few tbsps of olive oil for frying
1. In a large frying pan (with a lid) fry the sausages quickly in a little olive oil, till browned. Remove from the pan.
2. Add a little more oil to the pan and gently fry the onions, garlic and chilli till soft.
3. Return the sausages to the pan. Add the fennel and rosemary and fry for a further minute or so.
4. Add the tomato puree and cook, stirring all the time, for about 1 minute.
5. Pour in the wine, turn up the heat and cook till the wine has evaporated slightly (about 2 mins)
6. Add the peas, potatoes and stock to the pan then cover and cook over a very low heat for approx 1 1/4 hours. Check occasionally to make sure the stew isn\'t drying out, adding a little more stock if necessary. Don\'t add too much, just enough to keep the dish moist.
7. About 15 mins before the end of cooking, add the chopped fresh basil and check for seasoning.
8. Serve with a little extra chopped basil.
Delicious served with some good crusty bread.