Simple Seafood Rice
Added by Allora Andiamo | Sun 10 Jan 2010 @ 21:06
1.5 cupful of frozen (or fresh) mixed seafood (octopus,mussels,prawns,etc)
approx• 2 handfuls of fresh vongole
1.25 cups of quick cooking rice
Chicken stock (prepare about 800ml)
3/4 cup peas
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small yellow pepper, finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely sliced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 heaped tsp of turmeric
A little olive oil for frying
1. In a large frying pan, heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil till just hot. Add the chopped onion, garlic and chilli and fry over a gentle heat till soft.
2. Add the finely chopped pepper and fry for just a couple of minutes.
3. Add the rice to the pan and cook over a low heat till rice takes on a little bit of colour. Add the turmeric along with a little salt and black pepper.
4. Stir in the peas and frozen seafood, then pour in some of the stock (just enough to cover the rice). Pop the lid on, then cook over a gentle heat for approx 15minutes. Check the rice regularly, stirring and adding a little more stock when necessary. The finished rice should be nice and moist but not wet like risotto.
5. Once the rice is done add the vongole to the pan, cover, then steam for a few minutes. Discard any vongole that don\'t open.
6. Serve straight away.