Added by Allora Andiamo | Mon 31 Aug 2009 @ 21:31
This recipe is easy and quick to prepare and just needs throwing in the oven for a couple of hours where it will cook itself..no need to keep checking or stirring. It produces a lovely, buttery soft lamb with a light but rich tasting sauce. Lovely served on mashed potatoes :-)
Lamb carree (my 2 pieces weighed 850g in total)
1 red onion, sliced
1 white onion, sliced
12 - 15 kalamata olives
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/3 bottle dry white wine
1 cupful of lamb or chicken stock
about 6 rosemary sprigs, whole
small bunch of thyme
A few tbsps of olive oil for frying
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 140C. In a large deep frying pan, heat the olive oil till quite hot and brown the caree\'s on both sides. Remove from the pan and place in a heavy based casserole with lid.
2. Add the onions and garlic to the frying pan and fry gently till just softened but not browned.
3. Throw in the herbs along with the olives and the white wine. Cook over a high heat for about 1 minute then add the lamb or chicken stock and continue cooking over a medium heat for just a couple of minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper, then pour the mixture over the lamb. Cover with a tight fitting lid and braise in the oven at 140C for about 2 hours.
5. Remove the lamb from casserole (keep it warm) and place the sauce over a medium-high heat to reduce slightly. If you prefer a thicker sauce, add a little cornflour mixed with water and cook till thickened.
6. Serve cut into thick slices (2 or 3 ribs per person) with a little of the sauce.