Added by JamJarTrifle | Sun 30 Oct 2011 @ 16:15
This is now one of my favourite dishes. We adapted the recipe from the River Cafe whilst on holiday, and it was really nice. For a vegetarian version remove the bacon from the recipe, and instead boil some runner beans in water from the kettle, and add them with the spaghetti.
- 3 rashers of bacon, cut into rectangular pieces about an inch long
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 400g dried spaghetti
- 30g unsalted butter
- parmesan, grated
- 9 large egg yolks(free-range and organic if possible)
1)First, put the Kettle on. Heat the olive oil in a thick bottomed pan, and fry the onion for about 15 mins, until soft and translucent, not brown
2)Lower the heat and add the bacon. Cook for 10 mins, or until cooked but only slightly crispy.
3)Straight away after you\'ve added the bacon, put the bacon in a pan of boiling water from the kettle.
4)Still on a low heat, add the butter. When the butter has melted, and the pan is hot, add the spaghetti.
5) Toss the spaghetti, to coat it in the butter, bacon and red onion. Add some parmesan, before turning the heat down and adding the egg yolks. Toss well with the spaghetti, but try not to let the eggs scramble. They should coat the pasta in a creamy sauce.
6) Serve, with some parmesan grated over the top.