Speedy Steak Stir-Fry
Added by Mango Ginger | Sun 04 Mar 2012 @ 04:06
The latest Asian Fusion recipe from Mango Ginger: www.mango-ginger.blogspot.com
A quick, easy and fun way with steak. With the veg cut thinly, the steak more thickly, and the garlic, chilli and ginger cooked a little first it really doesn’t need long in the pan. Avoid the temptation to over-cook – make sure the steak stays nice and tender.
Time: 30 mins
Rating: It doesn’t get much easier than this
2 medium-sized steaks (I used sirloin), fat trimmed
˝ small onion/4 shallots
2 cloves garlic 1 large carrot
2 large red chilli
1 inch knob ginger
1 medium red pepper
100g asparagus (trimmed)
1 small bunch spring onions, white part only
2tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
Garnish with fresh coriander and a handful of peanuts
1. Heat the oven to a high temperature (about 200°C). Spread the peanuts on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 3-4 mins until browned, shaking the tray half way through. Remove the nuts and allow to cool. Once cooled, coarsely chop and set aside to use as garnish.
2. Then prepare your veg. Finely chop the ginger, garlic and chilli (deseeded). Finely slice the onion, carrot, pepper and mushrooms. Cut the asparagus spears into quarters, and the spring onions into diagonal slices about 1cm in length. Slicing the veg quite thinly is important. This will make them cook quickly and prevents you over-cooking the meat.
3. Then cut your steak into chunky slices , about an inch and a half in length.
4. Heat a little olive oil in a wok over a high flame and add the garlic, chilli and ginger. Stir-fry for about 2 mins. Add the steak and stir-fry for no more than a minute, just until it is lightly browned.
5. Add all the other veg and combine before adding the fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar. Keep stir-frying over a high heat for about 5-7 mins until the carrots and asparagus have softened, mixing frequently.
6. Remove from heat and serve with either steamed rice or egg noodles.
7. Garnish with roasted peanuts and roughly chopped fresh coriander.