Added by Allora Andiamo | Tue 29 Dec 2009 @ 22:10
Note: The cheesecake (filling and base) needs to be prepared the day before you want to serve it. The lemon topping should be added at least 3 hours before serving.
Makes one 20cm deep cheesecake
200g Spekulatius biscuits, finely crushed
80g butter, melted
500g cream cheese
180ml double (thick) cream
150g quark cheese
Juice and finely grated zest of 2 organic lemons
1.5 sachets of powdered gelatine (prepared with water as per packet instructions)
80g of butter, cut into small cubes
Juice of 2 organic lemons + finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1 heaped tbsp of double (thick) cream
1. First, prepare the base. Mix together the crushed biscuits and melted butter then gently press into a 20cm springform tin. Set aside for now.
2. Prepare the gelatine as per packet instructions and set aside while you prepare the filling.
3. Filling: In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest, till sugar has melted. Add the cream cheese, double cream and quark and continue whisking for about 1 minute. The cream should be nice and fluffy.
4. Add a couple of tablespoons of the cream to the prepared gelatine, mix well , then add the mixture to the bowl of cream. Whisk for approx. 1 minute.
5. Pour the mixture into the tin and spread out evenly.
6. Place the cheesecake in the fridge and allow to set overnight.
7. The next day, prepare the lemon topping. Place the eggs, butter, sugar, lemon juice and zest in a small saucepan.
8. Cook over a low heat for approx. 15mins , whisking the whole time. Once the sauce has thickened remove from the heat then whisk in the tablespoon of double cream.
9. Allow the sauce to cool then spread over the cheesecake. Pop the tin back in the fridge for a few hours to allow the topping to firm up a little before slicing.