Added by kye in france | Mon 23 Feb 2009 @ 12:06
excellent with the escarole and mushroom salad
* 5 teaspoons kosher salt
* 2 teaspoons paprika
* 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1 4-pound boneless chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 medium white onion, coarsely chopped
* 1 medium celery stalk, coarsely chopped
* 4 medium garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
* 4 fresh thyme sprigs
1. Heat the oven to 300įF and arrange a rack in the lower third.
2. In a small bowl, combine salt, paprika, pepper, and cayenne. Evenly rub spice mix on all sides of the roast; set aside.
3. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or a large, heavy-bottomed pot with a tightfitting lid over medium heat until smoking, about 5 minutes. Add meat and brown on all sides, about 20 minutes total; remove to a plate.
4. Add onion, celery, and garlic to the pot, season with salt, and cook until just softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir to coat vegetables. Pour beef broth into the pot and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom. Add thyme, meat, and any accumulated juices to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook in the oven until fork tender, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.