Spicy Rice Timballo (Baked Rice Dish)
Added by Allora Andiamo | Sat 28 Nov 2009 @ 21:42
Makes 8 slices
400g lean minced beef
1 cup of basmati rice
3/4 cup frozen peas
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1.5 cups of beef stock
1 red pepper, cut into small strips
1 ball of mozzarella, cut into cubes
about 1/2 cup of edam cheese, cut into cubes
2-3 tsps of harissa
1 red chilli, finely sliced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
4 tbsp fine breadcrumbs
You\'ll need an 18cm cake tin or baking dish for this recipe. Don\'t forget to preheat the oven to 190C :)
1. Rinse the rice under cold running water till water runs clear, then drain well.
2. Using a deep frying pan, heat a little dash of olive oil till hot, then fry the minced beef till lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside for now.
3. Add another dash of oil to the pan and fry the onions,garlic and chill till soft. Add the peppers and continue frying till peppers have softened.
4. Return the minced meat to the pan along with the peas,tomatoes,harissa and rice. Add 1.5 cups of beef stock, stir well then cook over a gentle heat till rice is just UNDER al dente . The rice should still be a little crunchy and have the consistency of a slightly dry risotto. Set aside whilst you prepare the tin.
5. Coat the tin with a little olive oil and sprinkle 3 tbsp of the breadcrumbs into the tin. Shake to coat then throw out any excess crumbs.
6. Place approx 1/3 of the mixture in the tin, spread out, then top with a little of the cheeses.
7. Repeat the layers, finishing off with a sprinkling of breadcrumbs.
8. Press the mixture down firmly then drizzle with a little olive oil.
8. Bake at 190C for approx 35 mins. Remove from the oven then allow to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.