Added by Kachka | Tue 28 Feb 2012 @ 19:23
Sweet steamed buns are delicious eastern europe dish, mostly served as main course, but also can be served as dessert. It can be filled with jam or fresh fruit such as plums or apricots.
400 g flour
20 g fresh yeast (or 1 & 1/2 tea spoon of dry yeast)
30 g white sugar
240 ml milk
0,4 dl cooking oil
pinch of salt
thick plum jam (if desirable)
1. Sieve the flour into a bowl, make a small hollow in the middle and crumble the yeast inside. Cove with a bit of sugar and pour 100 ml of warm (not hot!) milk on it. Cover the bowl with clean dish cloth and leave at warm place for 15 minutes for yeast to rise.
2. Whisk the egg and add it into the bowl together with salt, oil and the rest of sugar and tepid milk. Knead thoroughly, the dough is supposed to be smooth and supple, though quite sticky as well. Dredge with a bit of flour, cover with cloth and leave to stand at warm place for about 45 minutes.
3. Put the dough at lightly floured surface, cut into 8 parts and knead each one into bun shape.
(If you feel like, fill the dough with jam or piece of fresh fruit, be careful not to leave any leak for the filling to \'escape\' through.)
Leave to stand for another 15 minutes.
4. Steam in a steam cooker or on a steam rack in a big covered cooking pot for 7 minutes (if filled with fresh fruit leave to steam for about 10 minutes).
5. Serve with melted butter and topping of your choice (cocoa powder, grounded poppy seeds or nuts) and icing sugar.