Added by Allora Andiamo | Tue 21 Sep 2010 @ 08:07
These little rolls are flavoured with orange, vanilla and cinnamon. They\'re lovely served just as they are or split open and spread with butter and orange marmelade. They\'re also good toasted :)
550g plain flour
2 large eggs
1 small packet of instant yeast
80g caster sugar (fine sugar)
100g unsalted butter
Juice of 1 large orange + 1 hepaed tsp finely grated orange zest
Seeds of 1 vanilla pod
2 tsps sugar
1 tsp cinnamon (mixed spice is also good ! )
Glaze: Whisk together 1 small egg + 1 tbsp single cream
1.Pour the orange juice into a small saucepan and heat till just boiling. Add the raisins, vanilla, , cinnamon, orange zest and sugar , mix well then set aside to allow to plump up a little.
2. Pour the milk into a small saucepan and add the butter. Heat gently till butter begins to melt then remove from the heat.
3. Place the flour,caster sugar, eggs and yeast in a large mixing bowl (or food processor) then pour over the warm milk and butter mixture . Make sure the milk isn\'t too warm otherwise you\'ll kill the yeast.
4. Knead with a dough hook for approx. 6mins or knead with your hands for approx. 10 - 12 mins. The dough will be quite sticky so it\'s better to do this by machine. If you\'re kneading by hand, you may need to add a little extra flour to stop the mixture sticking to your worktop.
5. Add the soaked raisins to the dough, knead gently for another minute or so then cover the bowl with clingfilm and allow the dough to rise in a warm place till doubled in size.
6.Once the dough\'s finished rising, preheat oven to 190C (fan assisted).
7. Punch the dough back and knead gently for a minute or so. To make the rolls, pull off pieces of dough (approx. 100g per roll) and shape into rolls (you\'ll need to flour your hands to stop the dough sticking ).
8. Place rolls on a baking parchment lined baking tray, cover with a clean tea towel and allow to prove for another 15-20 min.
9. To glaze: combine egg and single cream then brush the rolls liberally with the mixture.
10. Bake rolls at 190C (fan assisted) for approx. 15-18 mins. If they start to brown too quickly, cover with a dome of aluminium foil for the last few minutes of baking.