TEMPURA SHRIMP LOVING WITH SEAWEED & CHILI SEASONING
Added by FoodTube | Mon 23 Sep 2013 @ 10:00
With sweet mint and coriander dipping sauce
This is quite simply one of the most awesome shrimp dishes you'll ever eat. Its so quick and simple but will leave you feeling like you can breakdance.
125g Corn flour
125g Plain flour
10g Baking powder
Ice cold soda water
4 Madagascan shrimp shell-off, de-veined
Mixed dried seaweed
Crushed flaked chili‚Äôs (Schewan or Pasilla work well)
50ml Sweet chili dipping sauce
40ml Rice wine vinegar
20g toasted sesame seeds
2 tsp fish sauce
Handful of coriander
Handful of mint
1. Mix all dry ingredients together and then slowly add the cold soda water until you have a consistency that coats the back of a spoon. This batter cannot be kept so it needs to be used immediately.
2. Dip the prawns into the batter and then drain. Introduce into the hot oil and hold for 5 seconds and then drop in. This stops the prawns sinking to the bottom and then sticking to the basket. Fry at 190c until pink and the batter is golden, about 2 -3 minutes.
3. Meanwhile place all the dipping ingredients into a bowl except the herbs. Taste to make sure you‚Äôve got the sweet and sour balance right. Then add the herbs and blitz with a stick blender until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
4. Smash the living daylights out of the seaweed and chili until fine. Then pass through a sieve and you have your salt and pepper equivalent.
5. Once the prawns are cooked drain on kitchen paper and then season well with the seaweed / chili mix. Get it all over and then grate a little lemon over it too, whoo hoo.
6. Serve with your dipping sauce, a wedge of lemon and prepare for happiness!