Added by Mango Ginger | Sat 31 Mar 2012 @ 03:55
The lastest Asian Fusion recipe from Mango Ginger. Never before have veggie burgers been made with such love! Itís scrumptious, firm, filling, easy to make and really nutritious too. Time: 45 minutes Rating: Easy, just a bit of chopping. Serves: Makes 6 - They will keep very well in the freeze if you donít need the whole batch at once
225g firm tofu, finely chopped
1 aubergine (about 250g)
100g shitake mushrooms
60g Breadcrumbs (you can make this from about 1-2 slices wholemeal bread)
80g cashew nuts very finely chopped
1 small onion
2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
1 stick lemongrass
1 inch knob ginger
2 small red chillis
1 bunch coriander
2 kaffir lime leaves
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
salt and freshly ground black pepper
vegetable oil for cooking
Sweet chilli sauce
Garlic and lime mayo
Slices of cucumber (pickled if you like), onion, tomato
1. Start by very finely chopping the mushrooms and aubergine, so theyíre about Ĺ centimetre cubed. Fry them in a wok or pan with a little vegetable and 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce until they are soft all the way through. Donít be tempted to add any more liquid, you need them to be dry so they donít make the burgers soggy. When they are done, set them aside to cool.
2. Prepare all of your other ingredients: Finely pound the cashews in a food processor or mortar and pestle Ė you should have a fine powder with a few lumps for texture. Chop the tofu into small pieces about the same size as the aubergines and mushrooms. Finely grate the carrot. Finely chop the onion, garlic, chilli, coriander, ginger, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves. Take time to do this properly Ė large chunks wonít be pleasant. The lemongrass and lime leaves are particularly tough and you should chop these as finely as you can. For the chillies, leave the seeds in (finely chopped) if you want them spicy, remove if not.
3. Combine all of the burger ingredients into a large bowl and combine with your hands. Then divide the mixture into six and form into large patties. It should be a nice firm mixture but if not add a few more breadcrumbs and a bit more flour
4. Heat a frying pan or griddle pan with a little oil over a medium heat and gently place the burgers in the pan. After 3-4 minutes turn over and cook for 3-4 minutes on both sides. Turn over again and cook for another 2 minutes on each side.
5. Serve in the buns with the sauces and other garnishes.
Cooking ahead? You can make these a day in advance and keep them in the fridge, or well ahead and freeze, defrosting several hours before cooking.