Are you sure you want to delete this recipe?
This recipe was uploaded by Allora Andiamo
1.First make the sauce. Cover the base of a large casserole dish with olive oil and gently fry the onion and garlic till soft but not browned.
2. Add the tomatoes to the pan along with some salt,pepper and the sugar. Crush the tomatoes a little with a wooden spoon then cover and cook the sauce gently for approx 20mins.
3. Just before the end of cooking, stir in the basil leaves and allow the sauce to cool a little.
4. Puree the sauce either using a food mill or a sieve and place back in the pan.
5. In a large frying pan, heat a little olive oil and fry the minced beef till lightly browned (season with a little salt and pepper). Add the meat to the tomato sauce and continue cooking over a low heat for approx 30mins.
6. Add the peas to the sauce and cook for a further 15mins.
7. Whilst the sauce is cooking prepare the pasta. Cook the pasta rings for only 4 mins then drain.
8. Add the pasta to the meat sauce and let it cool down slightly before mixing in the beaten eggs.
9. Grease your dish and sprinkle the bottom and sides with half the breadcrumbs.
10. Add a layer of pasta and about 1/4 of the cheeses.
11. Repeat the layers 3 times finishing with a sprinkling of breadcrumbs.
12. Drizzle the dish with a little olive oil then cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven at 160C for approx 30-35mins (remove foil for the last few minutes)
13. Allow the pasta to rest for a few minutes before turning out the timballo onto a serving dish.