Added by Allora Andiamo | Tue 03 Mar 2009 @ 12:48
Traditionally, Tiramisu is made using a mixture of mascarpone mixed with beaten egg yolks and sugar, which is then used as a topping for Savoiardi biscuits,soaked in espresso and Marsala wine. This version doesn\'t contain any eggs and instead of being served in a dish, it\'s served as a cake (makes a great Birthday cake)
1 good quality,ready bought plain sponge cake (24cm), sliced into 3 layers
200ml single cream
1 vanilla pod (seeds only)
2 tbsp fine sugar
1 cup of espresso coffee, cooled
1/2 cup of Marsala wine
2-3 tbsp cocao powder for sprinkling
1. Whip the single cream with 1 tbsp of the sugar, till light and fluffy.
2. Add the vanilla seeds and the mascarpone to the cream and whip gently for a couple of minutes or until well blended.
3.Place one layer of the cake onto your serving plate.
4.Drizzle with 1/3 of the coffee (sweetened with 1 tbsp sugar) and 1/3 of the Marsala.
5. Top the first layer with 1/3 of the cream mixture, spreading it evenly over the cake.
6. Repeat with the other 2 layers finishing with the cream mixture.
7. Sprinkle liberally with cocoa powder then refrigerate for approx 2 hours before serving.