Added by Allora Andiamo | Wed 28 Oct 2009 @ 14:35
250g strong bread flour
250g spelt flour
150ml warm milk
150ml warm water
1 little packet of dried yeast
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sugar
about 1 handful of dried tomatoes, finely chopped
10 black olives, finely chopped
1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
1 heaped tsp dried thyme
1 heaped tsp black pepper
Salt (1tsp maxē or leave out altogether if your olives and tomatoes are very salty)
1. In a large bowl,mix together milk,water,yeast and sugar.
2. Add the flours, salt and olive oil. Start by mixing with a fork then once the mixture starts to pull together,begin kneading the dough. Knead till soft and supple then place in the bowl, cover with a tea towel and allow to rise till doubled in size (45-60mins).
3. Remove the dough from the bowl and punch it down. Stretch it out into a circle or square shape and sprinkle with the herbs,pepper,olives and tomatoes.
4. Roll the dough up then begin kneading the ingredients into the dough, mixing well.
5. On a floured surface, roll the dough out into a large square (about 1/2 cm thick). Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife,cut the dough into 2 pieces. Cut each piece into 1cm strips. Each strip should be about 20 - 25 cm long.
6.Roll each strip into a thin sausage shape then place on a floured baking tray. Allow to rise again for another 30 minutes.
7. Bake at 190C for approx 35-40 minutes, till golden and crunchy.