Torta di mele (Italian Applecake)
Added by Allora Andiamo | Wed 28 Jan 2009 @ 12:03
approx 650g flavourful, Golden Delicious apples(or use another sort with a good flavour)
150g caster sugar
150g plain flour
Grated rind and juice of 1 large organic lemon
115g butter (melted and cooled)
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
A little extra finely pared or grate lemon rind for sprinkling
Icing sugar or caster sugar for sprinkling
1. Preheat your oven to 180C.
2. Brush a 23cm springform tin with some melted butter and line
the base with non-stick baking paper.
3. Peel, core and quarter the apples, then slice thinly.
4. Put the apple slices in a bowl and pour over the lemon juice,mixing well.
5 .Place the eggs,sugar and lemon rind in a large bowl and whisk until the mixture
has a light and fluffy mousse-like texture.
6. Sift in half the flour, the baking powder and the pinch of salt and fold in gently with a large spoon (don't beat it !).
7. Now add the melted butter, bit by bit, folding in gently.
8. Sift in the rest of the flour, fold in gently, then add the sliced apples turning
them gently in the mixture.
9. Pour into your prepared tin, level the surface a little and bake for approx.40 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean.
10. Let it rest for a few minutes before removing the tin, then sprinkle with
the sugar and the grated/pared lemon rind.
Tastes lovely served warm with some lemon rind flavoured whipped cream