Added by Winnipeg | Wed 28 Jan 2009 @ 12:03
1 - lb Ground Turkey
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 mushrooms (whatever kind you'd like), sliced
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 - 14oz (398ml) can stewed tomatoes
1 - 14oz (398ml) can Red Kidney beans
1 - 213ml can tomato sauce
2 tsp chili powder (I blend a mixture or regular chili powder with a pinch of ancho and chipolte chili powders for extra heat and flavour)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Jumbo Shell Pasta - Conchiglioni rigati (optional)
1) In a large saucepan brown ground turkey, on medium high heat until meat is no longer pink.
2) Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until it is soft and translucent. Add garlic cook for 1 minute more.
3) Season meat with chili powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir mixture for 1 minute.
4) Add sliced mushrooms, and red pepper, cook for another 5 minutes.
5) Add tomato paste, kidney beans, and stewed tomatoes along with 1/2 can of water (this will keep the liquid from evaporating while the mixture is simmering and developing its flavour.
6) Reduce heat and simmer on low heat for 1/2 hour until some of the liquid has thickened, if too much liquid has evaporated add some more water.
7) About half way through the simmering taste the chili for seasoning, add more salt, pepper or chili powder a little bit at a time until you've reached your preferred level of seasoning - its easy to add seasoning but hard to remove it.
This is optional but it's how I like to eat it[/i]
Cook Jumbo Shell Pasta according to package directions (usually about 6 shells per person). Put shells into bowls and spoon chili over. You can then fill the shells while you are eating them. Its also really yummy served with a slice of baguette.
Tastes great the same day ... but even better the next day :thumbsup: