Urap Sayuran (Javanese Mixed Vegetable Salad with Spiced Grated Coconut)
Added by GrowinKitchen | Sat 02 Apr 2011 @ 17:37
Urap sayuran is a mixed vegetable salad \'dressed\' with spiced grated coconut, that usually served as side dish of Javanese traditional yellow rice (especially in Central part of Java island). This is a sample of Indonesian simple dish; the vegetable are blanched and the coconut dressing is steamed or toasted with refined spices. Then both tossed together.
Some local articles said that urap sayuran is perfect for diet or vegetarians.
2 cloves garlic
5 red chilies
1 teaspoon coriander (roasted)
1Ĺ teaspoons of chopped kencur (Kaempferia galanga)
3 kaffir lime leaves (finely chopped)
Ĺ tablespoon tamarind
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons palm sugar
250 g grated coconut
50 g carrot (peeled, cut in fingers with 2 cm lengths)
50 g white cabbage (sliced)
50 g cassava leaves
50 g string beans (cut in 2 cm lengths)
25 g bean sprouts
25 g winged bean (sliced)
1. Refine shallot, garlic, chili, coriander, kencur, kaffir lime leaf, tamarind, salt and palm sugar until become paste.
2. Mix the paste with grated coconut, and steam for 15 minutes. (Or toast it until aromatic if you\'d prefer.) Remove and allow to cool.
3. In boiling water, blanch the bean sprout for 1 minute. Drain and set aside. Boil the rest of the vegetable until tender, then drain and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, toss vegetable and spiced grated coconut altogether.
5. Serve with mixed rice and fried yellow bean curd.