Are you sure you want to delete this recipe?
This recipe was uploaded by Patak's
2. In a pan heat three tbsp of oil and fry the sliced onions until golden brown.
3. Remove from the pan and drain on absorbent paper.
4. In the same oil, sauté the red onion for five minutes.
5. Add the garlic, green chilli and one tsp of ginger, cook for one minute before adding three tbsp of Patak's Biryani Paste or Tikka Masala Paste.
6. After two minutes stir in the tomatoes and cook for four minutes. Add the yoghurt and cook for a further two minutes.
7. Add the baby carrots, baby corn, asparagus, exotic and button mushrooms. If the mixture is too thick add a little water. Simmer for one minute, then remove from the heat.
8. Add one tbsp of coriander and one tbsp of mint. Season to taste and set aside.
9. Meanwhile, cook the rice, place the rice in a large pan with the dried mushrooms, cinnamon stick, green cardamom, bay leaves, saffron and one tbsp of Patak's Biryani Paste or Tikka Masala Paste. Cover the rice with boiling water and return to the boil.
10. Simmer for eight minutes or until the rice is just tender but with a little bite. Drain and discard the whole spices.
11. Grease the base of a casserole dish (or an ovenproof dish) with one tbsp of oil and add a layer of the aromatic rice. Sprinkle with some coriander, mint, ginger, cashew nuts and sultanas.
12. Add a layer of the vegetable masala and then sprinkle with some coriander and mint. Repeat the layering until all the rice and vegetable masala has been used. Finish with a sprinkle of coriander, mint, nuts, sultanas and the fried sliced onions.
13. Preheat the oven at 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. In a bowl mix together the whole-wheat flour, one tsp of salt and some water to form a dough.
14. Roll into a sausage shape. Press this onto the edge of the casserole dish. Put the lid firmly on top and place on a medium heat on the hob for two minutes (this allows the steam to begin). Then bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to stand for five minutes before breaking the seal before serving.